Yes, friends, the incoming freshmen on our campuses are class of 2014- a year once only referenced in SciFi movies. (Ok Actually 2009 seemed REALLY far off when I was a freshman!) They were born in 1992. Every year, Beloit College releases a “mindset list”- some cultural facts about the world that has shaped the perspective of the new freshmen. There are 75 items on the list, but here are my favorites:
7. “Caramel macchiato” and “venti half-caf vanilla latte” have always been street corner lingo.
17. Trading Chocolate the Moose for Patti the Platypus helped build their Beanie Baby collection
19. They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone
32. Czechoslovakia has never existed.
3. “Go West, Young College Grad” has always implied “and don’t stop until you get to Asia…and learn Chinese along the way.”
To see the entire list or lists from past years, head here.